With Just a Bit of Magic

has been moved to new address

http://www.withjustabitofmagic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

With Just a Bit of Magic: I'm Falling....

Thursday, September 2, 2010

I'm Falling....

I wasn't going to do the Writer's Workshop today because I have a lot going on at work but then decided I to do it anyway. It's the only thing that I've been able to do with some regularity.

Mama's Losin' It


The options this week were sort of difficult. I wasn't sure what one to pick or how to go about writing about one of them. I thought about them a while and finally settled on a childhood fear that I've taken into my adult life.


So, how is fear defined? Dictionary.com describes it as a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.

A fear can be anything and sometimes so real that it can be debilitating to a person. To children, something they fear can be so strong they actually think it's real.

When I was a child, probably 8 years old or younger I had a dream that to this day (almost 30 yrs later) I remember vividly. It was so real to me and to this day I hold that fear.

It was a dark, gloomy day like just before a bad storm hits. There were dark clouds in the sky, but the wind was calm as I walked down the driveway towards the mail box. I don't know why I was going out to get the mail since it was something that I didn't normally do.

The next scene of my dream was me standing at the mailbox and the little boy who lived across the street was there with me and a little girl, a friend I assume. We talked for a bit and I was afraid, but I can't remember why or of what.

I finally opened the mailbox and as I opened it I fell into the earth. It was a huge hole and I just fell, and fell, and fell. Fast. Like a free fall.

To this day I do not like free falling rides and even sometimes roller coasters that go down at a steep angle bother me. They scare the living hell out of me. I hate the feeling of falling as we go down a hill on the roller coaster as your body is lifted off the seat. I hold on as tight as I can and keep my eyes closed even tighter. There are those who love the rush and will do it again and again. Not me.

It's possible that it's totally an irrational fear or maybe not. But for me it's none the less a fear. One based on a childhood dream and one that I can't seem to let go.


Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At September 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM , Blogger Swati said...

Great post!
I am your newest follower :)
Have a great day!

http://dwivedi2326.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-childhood-fear.html

 
At September 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't funny how we carry those irrational fears around with us? I guess that's why they call them irrational! LOL

Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

 
At September 2, 2010 at 1:58 PM , Blogger Jackie said...

Thank you for stopping by ladies!
It is hard to rid your self of some of the fears we have that seems silly! They just hold tight no matter what we do.
Maybe it just is mind over matter...

 
At September 2, 2010 at 3:15 PM , Blogger Kate Pantier @ Mommy Monologues said...

F.E.A.R- False Expectations Appearing Real. That's what I always tell myself as I imagine phantom baby nappers crawling into my sons room at night! lol It hasn't started helping yet! haha

 
At September 2, 2010 at 3:29 PM , Anonymous Andrea said...

Ooh hate falling with a passion, dream or not!

 
At September 2, 2010 at 3:37 PM , Blogger Keagan said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have to say though, I love that falling feeling. Granted, I've never had a dream or experience that would make me fear it. For me...it's elevators...I refuse to step foot in them (though I have no good reason for being afraid of them). Gotta love irrational fears.

 
At September 2, 2010 at 6:45 PM , Anonymous Barb said...

Crazy. What would that have meant? Especially as an 8 YO? Dreams can be cool and bizarre at the same time.

 
At September 2, 2010 at 9:34 PM , Blogger Jackie said...

I have no idea what it could have meant or symbolized... especially for a little kid! I should look it up in my dream book.

 
At September 4, 2010 at 4:20 AM , Anonymous ElizOF said...

Hi Jackie
Thanks for stopping by my wordpress blog for the Mamakat exercise. This week was difficult for me too because I had a lot to do plus two full blogs to manage. I loved your post and can imagine how scary that dream was. Falling in dreams is disturbing to me because I often feel the fall even though I'm sleeping. I have followed you on Networked blogs and via my Blogger blog.
Have a great weekend!
Elizabeth

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home