With Just a Bit of Magic

has been moved to new address

http://www.withjustabitofmagic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

With Just a Bit of Magic: I was holding on tight but....

Thursday, August 26, 2010

I was holding on tight but....

For the past few weeks I've been participating in Mama Kat's Writers Workshop and it's been a lot of fun. It's easy because it's only once a week and I have almost 4 days to think about and write on one (or more) of the assignments that she emails out to everyone.

Mama's Losin' It

This week there were several choices that I pondered and it was finally today that I chose one. It just came to me! I knew exactly what I wanted to write about.

I was holding on tight but... eventually you have to let go. You can't hold on forever although you can try. I know I have been doing exactly that.

Yesterday I took #1 daughter (Caitlin) to registration for her freshman year of high school. It was hard and even harder is today I'm taking #2 daughter (Natalie) for registration at the middle school.

Somewhere along the way I missed about 10 years of my kids life. It just slipped by so quickly that I have no idea where the time went. I know I was there! I have pictures, memories, and keepsakes. But they grew up no matter how hard I held on or how much I wanted them to stay little.

All to soon they're be going to college and moving out of the house forever. I know I won't be able to handle it! Seriously.... Caitlin went away for two weeks this summer and I didn't know what to do!

People always say that taking their kids to their first day of kindergarten is hard, sad, or difficult for them. Well, I'll tell ya what... taking your child to their first day of middle school is much worse. Dropping them off and then watching them walk away to talk & laugh with their friends without a care in the world is hard to watch. They've grown up. Reached a point in their lives where they're not little kids anymore and you're not the most important thing in the world to them. The second day, third day, and there after get better. Trust me they do!

I still try to hold on tight and they often fight it, but they're always going to be my babies. And I will always be here for them no matter what.

On the other side I still have one in elementary school who still thinks I'm the greatest and of course there's my little man who's 7 months old and I am the world to him! I still have time to hold on tight to the little ones.

I will always hold them tightly to me in my heart even though I have to let them grow and learn and become who they want to be as adults. And someday (hopefully not soon!!) they'll be in my shoes and I'll have cuddly cute grandbabies to hold tight.

Hold tight while you can and cherish the time that you have because it goes by so fast and one day you wake up and they're teenagers and you don't even realize where the time went.

Enjoy the time with your kids. Hold tight...


14 Comments:

At August 26, 2010 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Livy said...

I am already seeing how fast time goes and my baby isn't even 1 yet.

 
At August 26, 2010 at 10:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that THE hardest thing about being a parent? Letting go? Man, mine will be attending K next year and not sure i'm up for the task.

I wrote on the same prompt so had to stop by...

 
At August 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Angie said...

I have a HUGE problem with letting go. My daughter is only 7 months old and already I'm crying over strange little milestones (like...ohhhh today she crawled from room A to room B...). sigh....

I really enjoyed reading your post and found it very refreshing to find someone who is a little further down the same road that I'm following.

 
At August 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM , Anonymous Stacey said...

That tugs at my heart strings. I have one more year till I have a kid in middle school and it's already going by way too fast. I'm not ready. I'm stopping by from Mama Kat's.

 
At August 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM , Blogger KLZ said...

This right here? Proof I need to have a ton of kids.

 
At August 26, 2010 at 5:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hang in there! I think you've got a rougher road ahead with girls than I do with my boys (just judging my my nieces and nephews and older friends' kiddos)but if we all support each other we'll come through with flying colors and well-adjusted kids ;)

 
At August 26, 2010 at 7:23 PM , Anonymous Barb said...

It is so true....they grow so fast. Very cliche but true. Mine are now 7 & 11 and its out of control how big and grown-up they are. Wah! They are both still cuddly so I am happy about that!

 
At August 26, 2010 at 8:12 PM , Blogger Kelsey said...

I dread this day. Thinking back to my views of my parents when I was a teenager... Oh, how I dread this day.

You are a brave woman.

Much love.

 
At August 26, 2010 at 8:58 PM , Blogger Jackie said...

Thank you everyone! It's hard but worth it all!

And for me I get to do it all over again since I essentially started over again with the baby!!

 
At August 26, 2010 at 10:08 PM , Anonymous Jenni said...

Oh,I know what you mean. My first daughter just started kindergarten last week, and her sister will soon be trailing behind her next year. I just can't believe it!

 
At August 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Elizabeth {sunny bug} said...

Jackie - both in MI, both with a new middle schooler, AND both with daughter's named Caitlin? I think you are my new favorite person. Caitlin - my middle schooler is so excited to start that her excitement makes me happy for her. She still thinks I'm normal and hanging out with me is cool - so I'm ok for now. Now my youngest...she's almost four and I can't wiat for her to start preschool. I'll probably bawl my eyes out in the car - but she will love the school time. {I'll continue to hold tight though...}

 
At August 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM , Blogger Jackie said...

I just about cried when I dropped Caitlin off for the first day of middle school! I couldn't believe how hard it was!!
I've been looking for other bloggers in Michigan! I was wanting to try and get some of us together.

 
At August 31, 2010 at 10:06 AM , Blogger Gigi said...

I think you're right...much harder to drop off when they're older than it is for kinder. I've managed two kinder dropoffs without much problem. Middle school will be hard. i've hard college is just earth shatteringly bad.

 
At August 31, 2010 at 10:14 AM , Blogger Jackie said...

Crap. Hopefully college drop off won't be that bad or else my oldest will decide to commute!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home