With Just a Bit of Magic

has been moved to new address

http://www.withjustabitofmagic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

With Just a Bit of Magic: Anadama Bread

Monday, August 2, 2010

Anadama Bread

Crumb - Anadama BreadImage by haleysuzanne via Flickr

This weekend as I was going through the new posts on the blogs that I read there was one that I found very intriguing. It was a recipe for an easy, dark bread.

The recipe was for Anadama bread, which is a traditional New England bread that's made of corn meal, molasses, and bread flour. The recipe has been around for many years and even has a myth as to how it got it's name to go along with it.

"A fisherman, angry with his wife, Anna, for serving him nothing but cornmeal and molasses, one day adds flour and yeast to his porridge and eats the resultant bread, while cursing, 'Anna, damn her.'"

The bread is extremely easy to make and requires no kneading at all! Mix it, put it in the pan, and then let it rise! How much more simple can it get? The result is a sweet, slightly dense bread that is very good warm from the oven, toasted the next day or even the day after that. I served mine the day after it was baked, warmed up in the oven with butter and homemade strawberry jam.

My sister and brother in law came over for brunch on Sunday and I thought that this was the perfect time to make this bread since it makes two loaves. And we'd definitely go through at least one of the them and the rest would make it to the office (which it did). My family and co-workers all loved the bread. This is one that I will make again and again.

The recipe that I used came from a great blog that I read daily, Simply Recipes. She has many great recipes as I've mentioned before.

Try this recipe and comment on what you thought about it! I'd love to know!
Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home