With Just a Bit of Magic

has been moved to new address

http://www.withjustabitofmagic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

With Just a Bit of Magic: The Worst Sunburn Ever!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Worst Sunburn Ever!




I really have to say first of all ... DO NOT DO THIS! You will get burnt and on top of that smell bad.

I think that it must have been the summer between my junior and senior year of high school and of course my parents were gone so I took the opportunity to have my girlfriends over. We went swimming, laid out in the sun, party at a friends house later than night, and all that fun summer stuff.

Now, to the good part. I couldn't find the sun tan oil... only sunblock. And I did not want sunblock I mean how was I to get a good tan if I had sunblock on. Since I couldn't find the sun tan oil we substituted vegetable oil. Yea... vegetable oil. This proves that kids are not always as smart as they think they are.

By the end of the day I thought I had a pretty nice tan. Went into shower and realized that I was actually burnt and that the hot water did not feel all that good and on top of that the damn vegetable oil did not wash off as well as I'd thought.

So, the evening progresses... I got the oil off but not the horrible smell. I'm sure that I smelled like a french fry or something! And of course I got more red as the night went on and it was not fun.

It was the kind of sunburn that no matter how hot it is outside you get the chills, radiate heat from your entire body, and are red for several days. Did I mention that it was not fun?

The vegetable oil smell didn't go away for almost a week and to this day when I smell it I think of that summer.

Okay... now you can laugh until your hearts content.


Mama's Losin' It

Labels:

8 Comments:

At July 29, 2010 at 3:22 PM , Blogger lisa's life said...

OMG! I'm cringing just thinking about being fried in the sun like that! (If I were French, I might have inserted a good joke there).

 
At July 29, 2010 at 4:14 PM , Blogger KatBouska said...

That's hilarious! It never would have occurred to me to grab the vegetable oil!! Hahaha!

 
At July 29, 2010 at 4:16 PM , Blogger kt moxie said...

OUCH! Vegetable oil! Ok... I'm laughing, but not AT you... Well, kinda. But I hope you don't mind. ;)

 
At July 29, 2010 at 4:58 PM , Blogger Sarah B @ Life. Love. Sincerely. said...

Oh my... talk about OUCH! It's funny to think of the time when we thought similar things (like oils) could be substituted for each other with no problem... like the time I wanted some chocolate sauce for my ice cream, so I mixed baking cocoa and water. No good. Sometimes you just gotta try things for yourself to learn!

Great post!

{Visiting from Mama Kat's!}

 
At July 29, 2010 at 10:28 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! As for the vegetable oil.. I knew people that did this. I am WAY too pale to ever try it.. but I did have some nasty sunburns after only using SPF 4 sunblock!

 
At July 29, 2010 at 10:40 PM , Blogger Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

Oh yuck! I love the wisdom of a teenager. I can totally see how it would make sense at the time.

Popping over from SITS day 10!

 
At July 30, 2010 at 2:53 AM , Blogger Michelle said...

OK, I'm laughing out loud now! My husband told me he did the exact same thing when he was is school too (that was before we met). He now has a few freckles on his back because of it.

Boy teens can do some really dumb things! LOL

Peace. ;)
Michelle @ greenearthbazaar.com

 
At July 31, 2010 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Shrine Readers said...

Horrible!! I've had too many sunburns in my life. I now lather on sunscreen endlessly!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home